Saturday, May 5, 2012

R.I.P. MCA (Adam Yauch)

I was saddened by the news yesterday that MCA (Adam Yauch) of the Beastie Boys had passed away due to cancer.

I thumped many a beat to Licensed to Ill back in the mid '80s (yes, that was on a boom box).  The Beasties and basketball go hand-in-hand in my memories of bygone days of youth. 

The Beasties broke the hip hop mold and brought it more into mainstream white America.  Those dudes from Brooklyn sure could rock.

Despite starting out of the gate with a monster smash record, the Boys hung together and stayed relevant for a really long time.  Nice work guys and thanks for all the catchy tunes.

Fight For Your Right (To Party)
Hey Ladies
So What'ha Want
Sabotage
Intergalactic
Ch-Check It Out

1 comment:

Angel Cry said...

As a huge B-boy fan, I can honestly say that we lost an innovator who changed the face of hip hop music as we see it today. MCA will be greatly missed and his legacy will stay with us from years to come. As punk band to hip hop, there were no racial lines that could not be crossed but the feeling of great music and happiness that filled the airwaves when played. long live MCA... to this day I will always remember this line:
"Now my name is M.C.A. I've got a license to kill
I think you know what time it is it's time to get ill"